Taiyaki is a filled Japanese pan cake. The traditional filling is red bean past. I’m sure this recipe will also work for standard American pan cakes and waffles. I guess it would be possible to make a low carb black soy bean past, but I had some low carb nutella on hand that needed to be used.
I ordered this pan: Amazon link.
I used this recipe as a starting point: source link.
The little filled pan cakes are very good tasting. The cake part reminds me a little bit of waffel house. As next step I would like to experiment with different fillings. I would like to try a lemon custard or a piece of chocolate next.
- 112g (4 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 4 eggs
- 10 g (2 tsp) vanilla extract
- 15 g Erythritol
- 18 g Carbalose
- 18 g resistant wheat starch
- 10g baking powder
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 4g (1 tsp) optonal Konjac Glucomannnan Powder for American pancakes
- 60g Low carb nutella
- Mix all the ingredients in a blender.
- Heat up pan to 350 F (on my stovetop I set it on 3 (range is 1-9)). Put some oil in each mold and rub with paper towel.
- Pour batter into the fish molds until it reaches the tail. Move mold around to fill the fin and tail.
- Drop some low carb filling in deepest part of each mold, I used 5 g low carb nutella per fish. Press down with finger until everything is covered with batter. If needed pour a little more batter over filling.
- Close the mold and flip it immediately, turn around so batter goes in all spaces. Let cook for 2 minutes. Flip back and let cook for 1 more minute.
- Remove Taiyaki from mold and repeat. This makes 6 batches or 12 fish for me.
Nutrition from MyFitnessPal
- 70 calories
- 2.3 g carbs, 1.6 g fiber, 0.7 g net carbs
- 3.2 g protein
- 5.1 g fat